BMI View: Angola's pharmaceutical market is held back by weak regulatory framework and lack of intellectual property legislation which create a challenging environment for i nnovative drugmakers. The fall in the price of oil will have a heavy impact the economy as a whole. Despite the dominance of oil revenue for Angola's state funding, the country will go ahead with its plans to decentralise the health system. The government will increase its share of the total healthcare market over the long term; however, state spending will remain modest in the sh ort term given lower oil prices.
Headline Expenditure Forecasts
Pharmaceuticals: AOA35.48bn (USD344mn) in 2014 to AOA38.99bn (USD362mn) in 2015; +13.1% in local currency and +5.0% in US dollar terms. Forecast in line with last quarter.
Healthcare: AOA625.28bn (USD6.24bn) in 2014 to AOA703.40bn (USD6.52bn) in 2015; +12.5% in local currency and +4.5% in US dollar terms. Forecast revised upward from last quarter due to the release of confirmed WHO data.
Angola's Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Index (RRI) score for Q315 is 29.6, just lower than Nigeria (30.0). It falls three places from last quarter's ranking, making it the 28th most attractive pharmaceutical market in the Middle East and Africa region.
Key Trends And Developments
Two health centres were inaugurated in the neighbourhood and communal headquarters of Luvo, in Mbanza Kongo in Angola's northern Zaire province on March 6. The centres, which were built within the municipal programme of rural development, have a capacity of 10 beds and 15 beds. The units are well equipped to offer integrated health services such as antenatal care, family planning, nutrition, expanded programme on immunizations (PAV), childcare, delivery and postpartum to the local population.
BMI Economic View
Real GDP growth in Angola will slow sharply to 1.9% in 2015 from an estimated 4.1% in 2014. Lower oil prices will have severe repercussions for the...
The Angola Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features BMI Research's forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Angola Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Angola pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Angola, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Angolan pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Angolan pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Angola.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMI’s forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI’s political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per ‘000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMI’s Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
BMI’s Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the market’s risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales – for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI’s industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.