BMI View: Communicable diseases will continue to dominate Botswana's disease profile, with HIV/AIDS posing the greatest burden. The government's provision of free antiretroviral treatment will provide opportunities for generic drugmakers within the public healthcare sector. As the economy develops, the burden of non-communicable diseases will increase, providing a more attractive epidemiological profile for multinational drugmakers.
Headline Expenditure Projections
Pharmaceuticals: BWP1.80bn (USD200mn) in 2014 to BWP1.96bn (USD199mn) in 2015; +9.4% in local currency terms and -0.4%% in US dollar terms. Forecast in line with Q 3 15 .
Healthcare: BWP7.45bn (USD830mn) in 2014 to BWP8.21bn (USD833mn) in 2015; +10.2% in local currency terms and +0.3% in US dollar terms. Forecast in line with Q 3 15 .
Botswana's Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Index score for Q415 is 38.3, lower than the Middle East and Africa regional score of 41.1 placing it 18th out of 31 countries in the region. In Africa, Botswana is ranked eighth, highlighting the country's potential as a pharmaceutical market. Although insignificant, the favourable industry and macroeconomics mean that investors are more likely to choose Botswana over other African countries.
Key Trends And Developments
In July 2015, the Ministry of Health launched the Intra Human Resource Information System (iHRIS) open software in partnership with the US Agency for International Development (USAID). The software is aimed at decreasing challenges in human resource management within the sector by keeping account of the doctors and nurses throughout the country and identifying places requiring health workers.
The Ministry of Health announced it will provide preventative health services as well as curative services in order to address the risks associated with rising cases of non-communicable diseases in July 2015. The Ministry will focus on raising awareness through education and regular disease...
The Botswana Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features BMI Research's forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Botswana Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Botswana pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Botswana, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Botswanan pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Botswanan pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Botswana.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMI’s forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI’s political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per ‘000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMI’s Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
BMI’s Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the market’s risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales – for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI’s industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.