BMI View: Favourable tax incentives, continued demand for both generic and patented medicines, and regional anti-counterfiet measures solidify Central America's revenue generating opportunities for multinational pharmaceutical companies in coming years. Despite political instability in some areas of the region, Central America's medicine consumption will continue to grow in 2015.
Headline Expenditure Projections
Pharmaceuticals: USD3.7bn in 2014 to USD3.9bn in 2015; +4.1%. Our forecast has been maintained since Q 2 15 .
Healthcare: USD16.8bn in 2014 to USD17.8bn in 2015; +5.1%. Our forecast has been revised upwards since Q 2 15 due to revised historical data.
Based on our analysis and assessment of the market's appeal to pharmaceutical companies in our Q315 Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Index (RRIs), the Americas scores 49.7 out of 100, below Western Europe (66.8), Asia Pacific (52.7), and Central and Eastern Europe (49.5), but above the Middle East and Africa (41.7). Of the six Central American countries surveyed Costa Rica's RRI score ranks first at 44.4, followed by Panama (44), Guatemala (40), Nicaragua (35.5), El Salvador (35.0), and Honduras (33.4).
Key Trends And Developments
The Ministries of Health of Panama and Costa Rica have entered a binational agreement to improve the access to universal health coverage on both sides of the border on February 25. The agreement aims to enhance health coverage in the border area, especially among the migrant population. It also aims to improve the availability of basic health necessities to curb epidemics such as leptospirosis, dengue and chikungunya.
Japan entered two cooperation agreements with Honduras and El Salvador in order to invest in the respective countries healthcare systems. The investments will be used, predominantly, to improve healthcare infrastructure.
The Central America Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features BMI Research's forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Central America Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Panama, Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Belize, Honduras pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Panama, Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Belize, Honduras, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Panamanian, Guatemalan, Nicaraguan, Salvadoran, Costa Rican, Belizean, Honduran pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Panamanian, Guatemalan, Nicaraguan, Salvadoran, Costa Rican, Belizean, Honduran pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Panama, Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Belize, Honduras.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMI’s forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI’s political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per ‘000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMI’s Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
BMI’s Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the market’s risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales – for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI’s industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.