Cyprus has emerged from a prolonged recession. Regardless, the economy will continue to be challenged by a weak external environment, public sector austerity, competitive pressures on wages and disposable income, and high levels of non-performing loans in the banking sector.
Negotiations between Greek and Turkish Cypriots on the 40-year-old 'Cyprus problem' are reaching a crucial phase. The odds of a deal to reunify the island are higher now than they have been since the last major peace effort ended in 2004.
The Cypriot government has exited its 2013 EU/IMF bailout, but the series of structural and fiscal reforms put in place under the programme have put the country in a position to boost private sector activity and reduce the public debt overhang substantially over the next decade.
Major Forecast Change
We have revised up our forecast for real GDP growth in 2016 to 1.9% from 1.8% as a result of strong economic data at the end of 2015 pointing to continued momentum in the following year.
Cyprus' status as a small, open economy leaves it vulnerable to external risks, particularly from key trading partners Russia and Greece, which are each experiencing severe difficulties.
Given the sharp decline in major categories of expenditure, particularly fixed investment, the recent gains in international competitiveness may prove unsustainable.
|Real GDP growth, % y-o-y||-2.5||1.6||1.9||1.9|
|Nominal GDP, EURbn||17.4||17.4||17.9||18.5|
|Consumer price inflation, % y-o-y, eop||-0.3||-1.5||0.5||1.5|
|Exchange rate EUR/USD, eop||0.80||0.90||0.90||0.90|
|Budget balance, % of GDP||-0.2||-0.5||0.3||1.0|
|Current account balance, % of GDP||-4.6||-3.6||-3.5||-3.7|
Assess your risk exposure in Cyprus with our 100% independent forecasts assessing the pace and stability of this key market. Backed by trusted data from BMI Research's 52 million data point economic forecast model, this report will allow you to measure political, economic, business environment and operational risks in Cyprus with confidence.
Your subscription service includes:
- Delivery of the report in print and PDF
- Online access for 12 months
- The functionality to translate your online report into your choice of 10 languages - Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish
- The ability to export data and graphs from the online report directly into your workflow
- The support of a dedicated Account Manager to answer any questions you might have about your subscription
- Access to our team of leading analysts who will be happy to answer any questions you might have about the data and forecasts included in this report