BMI View: Market growth, instigated by Germany and other leading EU members, is expected to have a positive impact upon pharmaceutical trade in the Czech Republic in the coming years. With healthcare measures focusing on transparency and reimbursement, access to private healthcare will be favourably impacted, allowing patients more increased access to medicines. On a similar note, legislation surrounding the export of drugs with limited availability is being tackled. Progressive reimbursement policies have also been put in place to spur on investment in the development of orphan drugs that treat rare diseases - a field that is proving to be lucrative .
Headline Expenditure Projections
Pharmaceuticals: CZK76.77bn (USD3.43bn) in 2014 to CZK78.83bn (USD3.58bn) in 2015; 3.1% in local currency terms and 5.2% in US dollar terms. Forecasts revised upwards from last quarter.
Healthcare: CZK280.80bn (USD12.54bn) in 2014 to CZK284.72bn (USD12.94bn) in 2015; +3.0% in local currency terms and 5.1% in US dollar terms. Forecasts revised upwards from last quarter.
Risk/Reward Inde x
In Q4 2015, results for the Czech Republic on BMI's Risk/Reward Index come in with a Reward score of 40.8 out of 65, a Risk score of 22.4 out of 35, and an overall score of 63.2 - ranking it as the most attractive market in the Central and Eastern European Region. Drugmakers will face challenges in the Czech pharmaceutical market as a result of pricing pressure, poor access to the market and increasing generic substitution. Additionally, adopted and proposed amendments to healthcare and insurance laws have attracted criticism from the pharmaceutical sector. The Czech pharmaceutical market will nevertheless remain relatively attractive and rewarding due to the regionally high pharmaceutical expenditure per capita compared with its neighbours, an ageing population and a favourable urban-rural distribution.
Key Trends And Developments
In July 2015, The Czech health ministry announced...
The Czech Republic Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features BMI Research's forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Czech Republic Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Czech Republic pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Czech Republic, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Czech pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Czech pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Czech Republic.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMI’s forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI’s political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per ‘000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMI’s Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
BMI’s Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the market’s risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales – for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI’s industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.