2016 will be a relatively positive year for the Egyptian economy, as the currency stabilises and investment returns to the county.
The fiscal and net export position will improve significantly on the back of fuel subsidy reform. Subsidy cuts will likely be watered down if public unrest occurs on a significant scale, however, the bulk of reform will remain in place.
Hikes to domestic energy prices will push consumer price inflation back into the double digits by the end of the year.
Egypt's geopolitical importance will ensure that even if an IMF agreement is delayed for longer than expected, further foreign aid commitments will materialise around the turn of the year. Western powers such as the US and EU have an interest in ensuring the North African country does not experience a more pronounced economic and political crisis. However, it will be donations from the GCC which keeps Egypt afloat this year.
Parliamentary elections in Q415 will result in a fragmented legislative with minimal Islamist presence.
A failure to secure external financing (whether through the IMF or bilateral aid) raises the risks of a disorderly devaluation of the Egyptian pound.
Terror attacks, or disturbances caused by the Muslim Brotherhood could have a significant impact on investment and tourism figures.
|Nominal GDP, USDbn||230.7||259.5||255.0||282.0||295.3||310.6||327.8||351.0||372.2||394.7|
|Real GDP growth, % y-o-y||1.4||1.3||2.2||2.2||2.6||2.9||4.6||4.5||4.3||4.2|
|GDP per capita, USD||2,954||3,268||3,159||3,436||3,540||3,666||3,810||4,020||4,201||4,393|
Assess your risk exposure in Egypt with our 100% independent forecasts assessing the pace and stability of this key market. Backed by trusted data from BMI Research's 52 million data point economic forecast model, this report will allow you to measure political, economic, business environment and operational risks in Egypt with confidence.
Your subscription service includes:
- Delivery of the report in print and PDF
- Online access for 12 months
- The functionality to translate your online report into your choice of 10 languages - Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish
- The ability to export data and graphs from the online report directly into your workflow
- The support of a dedicated Account Manager to answer any questions you might have about your subscription
- Access to our team of leading analysts who will be happy to answer any questions you might have about the data and forecasts included in this report