BMI View: The ageing Japanese agriculture sector i s see ing some green shoots in the form of technological innovations. The use of robots in primary industries of agriculture and fisheries and utilis ation of data in dairy farming is proof that the agriculture industry is making changes in the way it operates - a long awaited development for the traditionally old-fashioned and less progressive industry. The Japanese government has launched a series of initiatives to support advancements in the indu stry, including investing in USD 10mn in robots aimed at reducing farming workloads and investments into cloud-based agriculture technologies such as wearable devices and peripherals for monitoring livestock .
On the political front, the government's plan to diminish the influence of the once-powerful Central Union Agricultural Cooperative (JA-Zenchu) is a strong indication to us that much-needed structural reform of the agriculture industry is underway. By 2019, the JA Zenchu is expected to become a general incorporated association with co-ops having the option of engaging independent auditors instead of working with those associated to the JA Zenchu. By reducing the power of the Union, the government is sending out a clear sign that it is serious about the reforms, as further reflected in the increased openness towards a compromise for the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
Rice production growth to 2018/2019 : 5.5 % to 8.9 mn tonnes. With the latest policy to do away with the four decade-long gentan policy, which restricts output of the grain to prevent overproduction, we believe this will herald a new season for the backward and ageing industry, as consolidation will begin to take place.
Beef production growth to 2018/19: 3 .0 % to 517,000 tonnes. Livestock production is expected to be stable on the back of changes in the animal feed compensation programme for farmers, as well as muted consumption growth.
Soybean production growth to...
The Japan Agribusiness Report features BMI Research's market assessment and independent forecasts for production, consumption and trade across core agricultural commodities.
BMI's Japan Agribusiness Report includes independent commodity price forecasting and analysis for key agricultural outputs, an overview of the agribusiness competitive landscape and a discussion of the downstream context of agricultural production in relation to country food consumption forecasts and composite food and beverage trade forecasts.
- Use BMI's independent industry forecasts to test other views - a key input for successful planning in dynamic agribusiness markets.
- Apply BMI's medium-term commodity price analysis to assist with budgetary planning and the identification of investment opportunities and potential risks.
- Assess the activities and market position of your competitors, partners and clients.
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI’s key industry forecasts and views, highlighting recent changes and key risks to the industry outlook.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats within the wider agricultural industry.
BMI Supply & Demand Forecasts
Divided into sections based on various diverse sectors in the agriculture market, the chapter provides insight into each market’s agricultural industry, centred on sector forecasts to end-2019 for the consumption, production and trade of key commodities.
- Consumption Forecasts: Accompanied by a discussion of the main drivers of consumption growth: macroeconomic factors, food processing trends, price movements and increasingly, demand from the non-food sector.
- Production Forecasts: Examine the trends influencing BMI’s production outlook: global demand, price increases, public and private sector investment and agricultural efficiency improvements.
- Trade Forecasts: Accompanied by a discussion of the factors influencing a country’s trade in agricultural goods, including domestic demand, global prices and government trade policies.
- BMI’s Forecasts: Accompanied by a risks-to-outlook assessment, which examines potential factors that could affect our existing forecast picture and the likelihood of their occurrence.
BMI’s Commodity Price Analysis
Fundamental and technical analysis of the short- and medium-term price outlook for eight agricultural commodities based on globally recognised benchmarks.
Analysis of headline food and drink forecasts, including total food consumption, per capita food consumption and total sector trade, which provide important downstream intelligence for primary agricultural producers.
Includes relevant articles from BMI’s daily analysis service. These can include: long-term projections on agricultural imports and exports; our perceptions of the impacts of economic slowdown on key companies and subsectors within the Agribusiness industry in a given country; our analysis of fertilizer production; as well as other relevant analysis of recent news and events.
The reports contain information on prominent companies operating in each market.
Key Commodities Covered By The Agribusiness Market
Reports Include: Grains, Dairy, Livestock, Rice, Sugar, Palm Oil, Edible Oils, Coffee, Cocoa, Cotton, Soybean
Please note – not all reports cover all commodities.
The Agribusiness reports draw on an extensive network of primary sources, such as multilateral organisations, government departments, industry associations, chambers and company reports.