BMI View: Kazakhstan's mining sector growth outlook will be supported by the country's vast mineral reserves and supportive business environment. Increasing output of both industrial and precious metals, including coal, copper, gold and iron ore, will account for the bulk of the value of Kazakhstan's mining industry. However , the country's i nadequate infrastructure remains one of the main obstacles for the sector's long-term growth .
Kazakhstan's vast mineral reserves will support the sector's long-term growth outlook. The country has the potential to overtake current major mineral producers but needs significant investment from foreign companies, which have the necessary capital and technology, to develop its deposits. Although the country boasts adequate infrastructure in urban regions, many new and planned projects are located far from cities and transport routes, limiting the sector's access to adequate roads and power sources.
| Growth To Be Modest |
|Kazakhstan - Mining Sector Value (USDbn) & Growth y-o-y (%)|
| e/f = BMI estimate/forecast. Source: UN, USGS, BMI |
Despite continuing challenges, we believe the country's mining sector will continue to remain attractive due to its vast mineral reserves and supportive business environment. Furthermore, the mining sector will remain an important source of economic revenue over the coming years. We forecast the mining sector's contribution to Kazakhstan's GDP to average 16.0% over 2015-2019.
The Kazakhstan Mining Report has been researched at source and features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s mining and commodity forecasts for metals, minerals and gems, covering all major indicators including reserves, production, exports and values. The report also analyses trends and prospects, national and multinational companies and changes in the regulatory environment.
BMI's Kazakhstan Mining Report provides industry strategists, service companies, company analysts and consultants, government departments, trade associations and regulatory bodies with BMI's independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the mining industry in Kazakhstan.
- Use BMI's independent industry forecasts on Kazakhstan to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and planning in this mining market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Kazakhstan's mining sector through our reviews of latest mining industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Kazakhstan.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. KPIs and latest activity), Key Projects Tables and Competitive Landscape Tables.
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI’s key forecasts and industry analysis, covering mining reserves, supply, demand and prices, plus analysis of landmark company developments and key changes in the regulatory environment.
Industry SWOT analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the mining sector and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
BMI Industry Forecasts
Historic data series (2009-2013) and forecasts to end-2019 for key industry and economic indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key risks to the main forecasts. Indicators include:
- Mining industry: Industry size (USDmn), real growth (%), % of GDP, employment (‘000), workforce as % of total workforce, average wage (USD).
- Output: Production volumes (‘000 tonnes, carats etc.) for all major metals, minerals, ores and gems mined in each state, including bauxite, copper, gold, coal, lead, silver, tin, titanium, uranium, zinc etc.
- Exports: Value of exports (USDmn) for all major metals, minerals, ores and gems mined in each state.
- Commodity markets: Global demand, supply, stocks and benchmark prices (USD) for aluminium, copper, lead, nickel, tin, zinc, gold and steel.
BMI’s Mining Risk Reward Index
BMI’s Risk Reward Indices provide investors (mining companies and support service providers) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of a market’s risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
Competitive Landscape Tables & Analysis
Comparative company analyses and tables detailing USD sales, % share of total sales, number of employees, year established, market cap/NAV, ownership structure, production and % market share.
Details and analysis of all current and planned developments (new ventures, capacity expansion and other investments) across the sector broken down by metal/ore.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI’s industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
The Mining reports are based on an extensive network of primary sources, such as multilateral organisations (UN, WB, IMF), national chambers of commerce and industry, national statistical offices, government ministries and central banks, and multinational companies.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.