BMI View: Growth in Oman's pharmaceutical and healthcare market s will be driven by the roll out of medical insurance schemes and the completion of two medical cities , capitalising on the increased demand for healthcare services in both the domestic and international markets. Both projects are valued at over USD1bn each and will significantly improve the level of healthcare provision in Oman.
Headline Expenditure Projections
Pharmaceuticals: OMR203mn (USD528mn) in 2014 to OMR217mn (USD564mn) in 2015; 6.8% in local currency and US dollar terms. Forecast broadly in line with Q 2 15.
Healthcare: OMR853mn (USD2.22bn) in 2014 to OMR939mn (USD2.44bn) in 2015; +10.1% in local currency and US dollar terms. Forecast downgraded slightly from Q215.
Oman has limited longer-term commercial potential due to its small population and the fact that the government is responsible for the bulk of healthcare costs, which will increase the need for cost containment in the coming years. In Q315, Oman scores 49.0 out of 100 in the BMI Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Index, which has seen the country maintain its position in 10th place in the Middle East and Africa matrix out of 31 countries.
Key Trends And Developments
Data from the insurance sector in June 2015 indicated that claims paid by companies rose during Q115 by 36% to reach OMR39mn (USD101mn). Health insurance accounted for 22% of total direct premiums.
The Ministry of Health launched the National Electronic Health Record System in May 2015. The system links a patient's files in affiliated health institutions so the patient can access their medical history at anytime from anywhere.
Two paediatric drugs Advil and Panadol (marketed by GlaxoSmithKline) were recalled by the Ministry of Health in May 2015 due to errors in the dosage advice in their leaflets.
BMI Economic View
The pace of Omani economic activity will slow over 2015, as the continued slump in oil prices weakens business and...
The Oman Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features BMI Research's forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Oman Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Oman pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Oman, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Omani pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Omani pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Oman.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMI’s forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI’s political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per ‘000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMI’s Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
BMI’s Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the market’s risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales – for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI’s industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.