BMI View: Despite being among the smallest pharmaceutical and healthcare markets in the GCC, Oman's ambitious expansion projects will attract investments from numerous international players. Engagement of the private sector will provide the most significant growth prospects, although the public sector will still remain the dominant healthcare payer.
Headline Expenditure Projections
Pharmaceuticals: OMR205mn (USD532mn) in 2014 to OMR219mn (USD568mn) in 2015; 6.8% in local currency and US dollar terms. Forecast in line with Q 3 15.
Healthcare: OMR855mn (USD2.22bn) in 2014 to OMR942mn (USD2.45bn) in 2015; +10.1% in local currency and US dollar terms. Forecast in line with Q 3 15.
Oman has limited longer-term commercial potential due to its small population and the fact that the government is responsible for the bulk of healthcare costs, which will increase the need for cost containment in the coming years. In Q415, Oman scores 49.0 out of 100 in the BMI Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Index, which has seen the move up one position to ninth place in the Middle East and Africa matrix out of 31 countries.
Key Trends And Developments
In September 2015, Oman's Ministry of Health will be organising the fifth instalment of the Oman Health Exhibition and Conference to encourage drugmakers to establish bases in the country.
Oman's medical insurance sector witnessed growth of 32% to OMR63.07mn (USD163.9mn) in the first half of 2015, according to insurance market watchdog Capital Market Authority in August 2015.
From July 1 2015, the prices of 1,180 prescription medicines were reduced at private pharmacies as part of the second stage of the drug price review conducted by the Directorate General of Pharmaceutical Affairs and Drug Control at the Ministry of Health.
BMI Economic View
Oman's economic growth is set to slow over the coming years. The decline in oil prices is putting pressure on the government to rein in public spending, and the end of...
The Oman Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features BMI Research's forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Oman Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Oman pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Oman, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Omani pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Omani pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Oman.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMI’s forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI’s political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per ‘000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMI’s Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
BMI’s Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the market’s risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales – for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI’s industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.