BMI View: The roll out of Qatar's mandatory health insurance scheme will provide commercial opportunities for private healthcare providers, drugmakers, and medical devices and infrastructure companies. Expansion projects are already underway and in the pipeline in a bid to take advantage of the rapidly increasing demand for healthcare services.
Headline Expenditure Projections
Pharmaceuticals: QAR1.79bn (USD491mn) in 2014 to QAR2.00bn (USD548mn) in 2015; +11.5% in local currency and US dollar terms. Forecast downgrad ed from Q 3 15.
Healthcare: QAR17.25bn (USD4.74bn) in 2014 to QAR18.86bn (USD5.19bn) in 2015; +9.3% in both local currency and US dollar terms. Forecast in line with Q 3 15 .
Qatar's risks are particularly low in comparison with the rest of the Middle East and Africa (MEA) region, although its potential rewards are dampened by the small market size. Nevertheless, Qatar's high level of urbanisation, rapid population growth and rising prevalence of chronic lifestyle diseases creates an environment in which there is strong potential for market growth. In BMI's Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Index for the MEA matrix in Q415, Qatar has retained its position in the MEA matrix of fourth place, with the country's score this remaining at 55.5 out of 100.
Key Trends a nd Developments
It was reported in June 2015 that health centres under the Primary Health Care Corporation (PHCC) in Qatar recorded more than 5mn visits between April 1 2014 and March 31 2015. The PHCC also recorded in excess of 1mn new registrations during 2014/15.
In June 2015, Qatar's government allotted five plots of land in various parts of Doha for the construction of new state-of-the-art hospitals in partnership with the private sector. The project is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Economy and Commerce and the Supreme Council of Health (SCH); the project will provide investment opportunities to the private sector to 'build and operate' hospitals in...
The Qatar Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features BMI Research's forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Qatar Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Qatar pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Qatar, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Qatari pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Qatari pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Qatar.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMI’s forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI’s political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per ‘000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMI’s Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
BMI’s Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the market’s risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales – for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI’s industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.