BMI View: We have a positive view of Saudi Ar a bian freight transport in 2015, forecast ing growth across all freight modes, including those ports that have struggled with contractions in throughput in the previous two years . The construction of new facilities, while potentially affecting some existing ports, will strengthen the sector as a whole . The outlook for growth in air and rail freight volumes is also broadly upbeat.
Air freight will continue performing well with the help of national carrier Saudia, and the country's rail freight sector is expanding at an impressive rate.
Specific investments in expanding maritime facilities, and in projects such as the Saudi Landbridge and the north-south railway, coupled with strong economic growth on the back of large oil receipts, will continue to boost freight volumes over the medium and long term.
Headline Industry Data
Total Saudi Arabian trade set to grow by 2.8% in 2015 in real terms, with imports growing 5.0% and exports by 0.5%. Real trade growth will average 2.4% to 2019.
Air freight volumes set to grow 5.8% in 2015, to reach 1.18mn tonnes. Growth to 2019 to average around 5% a year.
2015 Jeddah Islamic Port total tonnage throughput forecast to return to growth, expanding by 5.2%. Growth will average over 5% over the medium term to 2019.
2015 rail freight volumes forecast to grow by 9.8% in 2015 and to average 11.7% over our forecast period.
Key Industry Trends
Total Investments For Port Infrastructure Projects Reach USD30bn: Saudi Arabia has existing and proposed port infrastructure projects worth more than USD30bn. The new infrastructure projects include the Jeddah Islamic Port (JIP) expansion, which is expected to increase the handling capacity of the port by 45%. An international container terminal at JIP, the Red Sea Gateway Terminal was also built at a cost of USD510mn.
Dammam-Jeddah Rail Link To Strengthen Trade: Saudi Arabia's trade with the rest of the Gulf Co-operation...
The Saudi Arabia Freight Transport Report has been researched at source, and features latest-available data covering commercial transport and logistics by road, rail, air and water; industry forecasts, company rankings covering leading national and multinational operators; and analysis of latest industry trends, opportunities, projects and regulatory changes.
Business Monitor International (BMI)'s Saudi Arabia Freight Transport Report provides industry professionals and strategists, sector analysts, investors, trade associations and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Saudi freight transport and logistics industry.
- Benchmark BMI's independent freight transport industry forecasts on Saudi Arabia to test other views - a key input for successful budgetary and planning in the strategic freight transport market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Saudi freight transport sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Saudi Arabia.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs, and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI’s key industry forecasts, views and trend analysis covering freight transport and logistics, regulatory changes, major investments and projects and significant national and multinational company developments.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats within the freight transport sector and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
BMI Industry Forecasts
Historic data series (2008-2012) and forecasts to end-2019 for all key industry and economic indicators (see list below), supported by explicit assumptions plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast including:
- Transport Sector: Total freight carried by road, rail, inland waterways, maritime, air and pipeline (mn tonnes-km/mn tonnes).
- Trade: Exports and imports (USDmn) by category of goods (manufactured goods, food, chemicals etc.); top five import and export trade partners (USDmn); imports/exports to each global region (USDmn)
- Port Data: Throughput (‘000 tonnes) for all major ports in the state.
- Oil Products Prices: Price forecasts for gasoline and aviation fuel (USD/bbl) at all major global energy trading hubs.
- Economic Indicators: Nominal GDP (USDbn); real GDP growth (%); GDP per capita (USD); industrial production (%); unemployment (%)
Details of the freight infrastructure in each state by segment (road, rail, air, water and pipelines). Full analysis of the competitive landscape within each segment.
Industry Trends and Developments
Analysis of the latest projects across the freight transport sector (road, rail, air, sea and logistics) including a market overview which provides an outline of the key elements driving development.
The Freight Transport market reports contain a chapter detailing the political outlook of a given region, examining the domestic politics, long-term outlook and foreign policy, and assessing the impact this could have on freight and transport businesses.
Examines the short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI’s industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
The Freight Transport reports draw on an extensive network of primary sources, such as multilateral organisations, government departments, industry associations, chambers and company reports
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.