BMI View: Positive economic developments in the eurozone and increasing competitiveness due to euro depreciation should boost demand for Slovenian pharmaceutical exports. It is also likely that economic pickup in Slovenia will push demand for pharmaceutical imports. The Slovenian pharmaceutical industry's focus on generic drugs will be beneficial given the developing trend for greater generic penetration in Europe and the demand for low-cost medicines in emerging markets.
Headline Expenditure Projections
Pharmaceuticals: EUR675mn (USD896mn) in 2014 to EUR671mn (USD738mn) in 2015; -0.6% in local currency terms and -17.6% in US dollar terms. Forecasts lowered compared to previous quarter.
Healthcare: EUR3.22bn (USD4.27bn) in 2014 to EUR3.23bn (USD3.55bn) in 2015; 0.4% in local currency terms and -16.8% in US dollar terms. Forecasts increased compared to previous quarter.
BMI Risk/Reward Index
Slovenia scores 51.6 out of a total of 100 in our Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Index for Q315 - up from 50.4 in the previous quarter. This places the country 8th in our index of 20 countries and above the average for the region, which is 49.5.
Key Trends & Developments
Slovenian generic pharmaceutical company Krka recorded a 4% decline in net profit to EUR166.2mn (USD185.7mn) in 2014, compared with EUR172.7mn (USD193mn) in 2013, reports Reuters. Sales fell to EUR1.19bn (USD1.33bn) in 2014, compared with EUR1.20bn (USD1.34bn) in 2013. Krka expects sales to reach EUR1.26bn (USD1.41bn) in 2015, with sales outside Slovenia expected to represent 94% of total sales. The company expects net profit in 2015 to remain at similar levels to 2014.
Healthcare investor and entrepreneur, Joseph Priel and private equity firm, ARX Partners, have purchased Slovenian hospital DCB (Diagnostic Centre Bled) from family owners. This is believed to be the first big private healthcare services deal in the country. Priel's businesses are now active in at least four countries, reports...
The Slovenia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features BMI Research's forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Slovenia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Slovenia pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Slovenia, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Slovenian pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Slovenian pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Slovenia.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMI’s forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI’s political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per ‘000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMI’s Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
BMI’s Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the market’s risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales – for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI’s industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.