BMI View: The fragmented nature of the Asia Pacific region will continue to provide unequal commercial opportunities for pharmaceutical firms looking to invest in the region. Sri Lanka's pharmaceutical sector managed to attract investments from both domestic and foreign investors in recent years, as economic growth has picked up and the government remains focused on improving the domestic pharmaceutical sector. We expect that pharmaceutical and healthcare sector growth will outpace economic growth over the five-year forecast period.
Headline Expenditure Projections
Pharmaceuticals: LKR75.1bn (USD575mn) in 2014 to LKR82.6bn (USD618mn) in 2015; +10.0% growth in local currency terms and 7.4% in US dollar terms. Forecasts remain flat compared with the previous quarter.
Healthcare: LKR284.3bn (USD2.2bn) in 2014 to LKR310.5bn (USD2.3bn) in 2015; +9.2% growth in local currency terms and 6.6% in US dollar terms. Forecasts are slightly up compared with the previous quarter.
Sri Lanka's Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Index (RRI) score for Q4 2015 stands at 38.2 out of a total of 100, making it the 17th-most attractive pharmaceutical market in the Asia Pacific region. The main reason for the country's low score is the relatively small population size, which presents modest opportunities.
Key Trends And Developments
In August, Hemas Holdings reported first quarter results of the financial year 2015/16. Revenues came in at LRK8.8bn posting a growth of 22.9%. Group net profit landed at LRK415mn with a growth of 68.2% compared with the corresponding period last year. The three main sectors - FMCG, pharmaceutical distribution and JL Morison - posted double digit top line growth of 33.2%, 13.3% and 57.3%, respectively.
Hemas Holdings has established its second public-private partnership - Innovation Initiative - focused on supporting talented entrepreneurs. The company has signed a memorandum of understanding with Sri Lanka Inventors Commission. According...
The Sri Lanka Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features BMI Research's forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Sri Lanka Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Sri Lanka pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Sri Lanka, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Sri Lankan pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Sri Lankan pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Sri Lanka.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMI’s forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI’s political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per ‘000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMI’s Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
BMI’s Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the market’s risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales – for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI’s industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.