Lower oil prices will hit growth as government spending and consumer confidence falls. We forecast real GDP growth at 2.3% and 2.46% in 2016 and 2017 from a 3.8% in 2015
Dubai will see an even sharper slowdown as discretionary spending from the rest of the Gulf, and the impact of weaker currencies in China and India take their toll on investment ad spending.
Credit growth to the private sector will remain relatively slow through 2016 as commercial banks continue to increase provisioning against potential loan losses due to the debt funding cliff.
Any attack by Islamist militants would result in a fundamental reappraisal of both the UAE's, and the wider region, risk profile.
Any breakdown in the nuclear agreement the West and Iran could result in a deterioration in the UAE's sovereign risk profile given the close proximity and deep trade ties between the two countries.
|Real GDP growth, % y-o-y||3.1||3.8||2.3||2.4|
|Nominal GDP, USDbn||401.9||370.2||390.2||412.0|
|Consumer price inflation, % y-o-y, eop||3.7||3.6||3.0||3.2|
|Exchange rate AED/USD, eop||3.67||3.67||3.67||3.67|
|Budget balance, % of GDP||5.0||-2.1||-3.0||-1.6|
|Current account balance, % of GDP||14.6||5.8||7.6||8.4|
Assess your risk exposure in United Arab Emirates with our 100% independent forecasts assessing the pace and stability of this key market. Backed by trusted data from BMI Research's 52 million data point economic forecast model, this report will allow you to measure political, economic, business environment and operational risks in United Arab Emirates with confidence.
Your subscription service includes:
- Delivery of the report in print and PDF
- Online access for 12 months
- The functionality to translate your online report into your choice of 10 languages - Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish
- The ability to export data and graphs from the online report directly into your workflow
- The support of a dedicated Account Manager to answer any questions you might have about your subscription
- Access to our team of leading analysts who will be happy to answer any questions you might have about the data and forecasts included in this report